Do any of these fit you?
- Are you a late planner, looking for some Apollo 11 anniversary stuff to do?
- Do you want a last-minute 50th Anniversary idea for the kids?
- Can you just not get enough about mankind’s quest for the Moon?
- You’re looking for Apollo 11 activities outside downtown Chicago?
Below is a quick list of more Chicago-area events, activities, and exhibits to get you covered.
- Visit the Apollo 8 Command Module at the Museum of Chicago and Industry
- Apollo 11: First Steps at the Giant Domed Theater’s Apollo 11 film, also at MSI.
- The Adler Planetarium’s “Imagine the Moon” program
- The Barrington Area Library is hosting a presentation by Jim Gibbons on how JFK’s moon shot space goal came to be (July 16)
- Up near Milwaukee? Check out this event at the Schlitz Audobon center to relive the space race (July 16).
- Adler’s full list of Apollo 11 celebration events and activities. It’s three days of Apollo Program Awesomeness, starting 18 July.
- Going to be downstate? See a sample of lunar rock, collected during Apollo 11. At the Illinois State Museum
- Robert Kurson, the author of Rocketmen, speaks at the Arlington Heights Library about the critical precursor mission Apollo 8 (July 17). NOTE: Robert Kurson also presented at NewSpace Chicago in 2018.
- College of DuPage’s 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 Celebration (July 20). Exhibits will include moon rocks, virtual reality, model rockets, astronomy, and more.
- The Challenger Learning Center of Northwest Indiana, just across the state line, has a special Moon Explorer program for kids to celebrate Apollo 11.
- Actor Terry Lynch will portray Neil Armstrong in a special program at the Glen Ellyn Historical Society (July 30)
- Need a quick Apollo 11 celebratory fix? Wish you could have been at one of those post-mission ticker tape parades? Check out this archival video. More information about it is available here too.
- Feel like making a road trip to Purdue University in Indiana? Purdue has made huge contributions to space exploration for decades, and has a bunch of campus events to check out.